Kate grew up in Porirua, graduating from Victoria University of Wellington with a BA in English Literature.
She has worked at David Bateman Ltd in Auckland as Editorial and Production Assistant; the Waitangi Tribunal as an Editor of Tribunal reports; and Mallinson Rendel (an independent book publisher specialising in children’s books, including Lynley Dodd’s Hairy Maclary series) as Editorial Manager.
After completing a Diploma in Multimedia at NatColl in Wellington, Kate worked as a Knowledge Management consultant for the Sysdoc group for over a decade, and continues her association with Sysdoc today. Her roles have included business analysis, review and quality assurance of consultants’ work before it is delivered to clients, process review and improvement, and a variety of writing work, including online content, business reports, and process and procedural writing.
Kate has worked as a contract editor from her home on the Kāpiti coast since 2014, for clients as varied as government organisations, Ministries and state-owned enterprises, Master’s and PhD students, owner-operators, and small-to-medium enterprises.
Some documents that Kate has worked on include:
- Waitangi Tribunal reports, including The Turangi Township Report 1995 and The Taranaki Report: Kaupapa Tuatahi
- the Waitangi Tribunal’s Rangahaua Whanui research series
- Fiordland Marine Guardians’ Annual Report 2015 and 2016 (editing)
- Green Ribbon 2016 winners’ overviews (writing)
- Beneath the Reflections: a users’ guide to the Fiordland (Te Moana o Atawhenua) marine area (editing)
- New Zealand’s phase down of hydrofluorocarbons to ratify the Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol and associated supporting measures: Consultation document (editing)
- Our future: Waikanae Beach community process and booklet (writing and editing, as a member of the community).
Recently Kate worked with Ford Sumner Lawyers to rewrite and revitalise their website content, and this went live in August 2019.